Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Girl? or Boy?

My precious niece is expecting her first child! She wanted to announce the sex of the baby at a get-together for family and friends. As luck would have it the date of the "revealing" sonogram coincided with an annual family fish fry in May. I offered to put together some extras to make the day a little more special. My plan was driven by a desire to keep the decor low-key and tasteful, yet complimentary to the outdoor occasion.

Oh! I should mention that my niece and her husband wanted to wait until the fish fry to be surprised with everyone else.  So Nurse Angela called ME after the sonogram was completed to tell me whether the baby is a girl or a boy. Now THAT is fun!

I looked online for some inspiration. I had some thoughts, but you never know what you might come across. I knew I didn't want it to be something that thousands of other people had done, and I certainly didn't want it to turn into a circus with the great-grandparents in attendance.  I do believe I accomplished my goal.

I used the motif of Silhouettes.  I found silhouettes of a little boy and a little girl and took it from there. A neutral color palette of taupe, black and white was perfect for the decor and invitations. 

Boxes covered with craft sticks and painted white were a nice base on which to place the silhouettes.  Add some Spanish moss, a little greenery, jute and white ribbon bows and the look was complete.

The knives, forks and spoons were wrapped in layered black and white napkins - tied with jute or secured with paper bands of the same taupe and white stripe used on the invitations and silhouettes.  The wire baskets were a last minute find at Dollar Tree. Perfect!

The grandmother-to-be dotted some hydrangeas around the eating area which added pops of color in traditional pink and blue. My niece set up a table on which we placed sonogram pictures and a prediction sheet for everyone to sign. The white box held the secret that only three of us knew.

        
After lunch the box was opened and...drum roll...the baby is a GIRL! During the excited conversation that followed, favor boxes were distributed and opened. Inside were a decorated flower cookie, Hershey's "It's a Girl!" kisses, seeds for pink flowers to be planted in honor of the little one and a pink balloon...of course! (Thank you, Aunt Lynn and Aunt Peggy!) Congratulations, Sarah and Dustin!  We are looking forward to meeting our precious little princess when she makes her grand (and royal) appearance.
    

P.S.  We already have the perfect idea for a baby shower.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment