Monday, March 16, 2015

Make It Personal

There are occasions when my tablescape muse leaves me high and dry.  Such was the case recently when our family celebrated three birthdays at one dinner.  A table setting design and centerpiece that fit all three personalities just didn't materialize.  Then it came to me.  Why not personalize each place setting for each honoree?  So that's what I did! 
For my sister, the artist historian, inspiration came in the form of one of her favorite artists and paintings - Vermeer's "Girl With A Pearl Earring".  The royal blue and bronze color palette, complete with a string of pearls, was perfect for her.


For my husband Disney was the obvious choice.  Mickey Mouse came to mind when I remembered a set of plates we had purchased on one of our many trips to Disney World.  Mission accomplished! He still thinks his was the best!


The third place setting was a bit more challenging.  It was for my father.  I finally settled on his love of the universe and space.  I chose a photograph taken by Hubble and used God's color palette from the picture.  A purple charger and green depression glass tied it all together.  He loved it!


I'm thanking my muse now.  Making a multiple honoree dinner table more personal is not as daunting as I first thought. There were three completely different place settings to bring together, but it was worth it in the end.  Sometimes it's the little things...like making it personal.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment