Sunday, June 7, 2015

Father's Day


I was looking at my calendar yesterday and realized that Father's Day is in just a couple of weeks. I will add that to my list of events that need some planning and engage my muse in some "inspirational" conversation.

In the meantime I will share a table setting I created for my father a few years ago. It happens to be one of his favorites...and mine. You see, my father has always been fascinated with ships. Especially the tall ships in full sail. He also loves books! As it happened I was able to use items belonging to him to help the centerpiece come to life. This made the table setting even more special.

The ship models were painstakingly put together by my father many years ago. They have survived four moves - three of which were state to state - and currently reside on the shelves in his office. The books were chosen by title to fit the theme, and dust cover for color. They also pulled double-duty by adding height to the centerpiece.

The scavenger hunt around my parents' house continued into the entry hall where my mother keeps her shell collection. A few carefully selected shells and driftwood brought added texture, color and visual interest. Some antique silver items (pilfered from my sister), colored glass "stones" (from my stash) and tea lights achieved my goal of finding theme-related pieces. I love to use items I find around the house!
Due to the more detailed centerpiece, I chose very simple place settings. Black chargers, white plates, clear water glasses and alternating napkins in ocean tones completed the table top.

It was a Father's Day dinner and the table was all about my father. Mission accomplished!

No comments:

Post a Comment