Sunday, June 14, 2015

Red, White and Blue!

When I see the colors red, white and blue I think of the American flag and our country's patriotic holidays. While we have several that honor and celebrate our country and its armed forces, the one I think of more as a celebration is America's birthday - the 4th of July. Maybe you place a wreath on your front door. Or perhaps you create a patriotic vignette on your porch or patio. Maybe you fire up the backyard BBQ grill, plan a picnic to watch the fireworks or set up a table under the stars. Whatever your reason to decorate, the colors of red, white and blue will generally find their way into your festivities in some way.

I created this table setting a couple of years ago for our 4th of July family get together. It's one of my favorites...mostly because I was able to use two of my favorite dinner plate choices:  my sister's Blue Willow (which she inherited from our grandmother) and my Red-rimmed White. They were perfectly suited for both each other and the occasion. With so many blocks of solid color, the Blue Willow added just enough pattern to make the settings interesting. The woven chargers kept the look informal and the red napkins were placed with the Blue Willow plates for a little contrast.

The centerpiece was a mixture of both fresh and silk flowers and greenery. I enjoy using a combination of fresh and silk. I can't always find the fresh flowers I want in season, but fresh greenery is generally available in abundance.  And it's usually FREE! I used an antique, tarnished coffee pot as my container. The lid was hinged to stay open which made for a unique visual. As you can see from the pictures three small American flags along with red flowers, white flowers and greenery composed the arrangement.  Star-like votive candles completed the centerpiece. I was very pleased with the patriotic atmosphere.

While this was for an indoor meal I would have no problem placing this exact setting in a gazebo or on a patio.  It works for both indoor and outdoor celebrations.


Show your patriotic spirit this 4th of July!  Here's to the Red, White and Blue!

No comments:

Post a Comment