Saturday, February 27, 2016

Manna and Quail

Last summer I was asked to design a centerpiece based on a scripture from the book of Exodus.  I was to be one of several who designed a centerpiece for a church women's conference.  I chose Manna and Quail for several reasons; but mainly because a design popped into my head as soon as the Bible story was mentioned.

I used much of what I had on-hand. A glass-less picture frame served as a base on which to build the centerpiece. The frame not only contained the (desert) sand on which the story would be told, but also made for easy clean-up.  I borrowed two decorative quail from my mother, along with the stoneware pitcher that held the feather and stem arrangement. I did purchase a few silk stems, as well as the fabric for the table runner and cloth.  Panko bread crumbs served as the Manna that was "gathered" into two thin, wooden "baskets".
Everything came together and told the story well. 

Don't be afraid to use what you already have on hand.  Not every centerpiece must be completely brand new. And it's fun to see the items used and know the stories behind them as well.

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment